SMBC is a rapidly growing bank backed by the resources of one of the world's largest financial institutions with more than $1.5 trillion AUM. SMBC provides global banking solutions to North American corporations and institutions and has 45% client coverage among the Fortune 500.
We are seeking a Vice President or Director with experience providing Credit Ratings Advisory services to clients in a Corporate or Investment Banking setting. The Director will be responsible for working with Relationship Managers to cover Investment Grade and Sub Investment Grade clients in SMBC's Industry coverage groups and will be based in SMBC's New York office.
An experienced Vice President or Director will be able to elevate and enhance the visibility of SMBC's role in the bank-client relationship leading to an increased level of strategic dialogue with clients. In addition, the Vice President or Director's corporate finance knowledge and entrepreneurial approach are expected to translate into an increased level of client intimacy and high departmental revenue.
- Provide clients with insights into how Credit Rating agencies evaluate, assess and assign ratings to capital structures
- Augment, manage and broaden client relationships through ongoing client engagement, beginning with calls, discussions, visits, information updates and SMBC-hosted events
- Develop and deliver best in class financing ideas and proposals leading to in-depth discussions, and ultimately financing transactions based on a close reading of the client's business needs and fast paced development in the market
- Take ownership of ideas / proposals and lead execution of transactions to facilitate deals from start to end
- Train and mentor junior staff, many of whom have successfully completed SMBC's Analyst Training Program
Preferred Previous Work Experience, skills, abilities and/or training:
- Minimum of 3-4 years of relevant work experience within a credit rating agency, followed by experience with a corporate bank or financial institution.
- Ability to understand, think through and develop solutions to complex corporate finance problems using SMBC's product offerings
- Strong understanding of the needs and interests of various capital providers and how these can be put together to provide clients with optimal capital solutions
- Ability to communicate and propose complex capital solutions to a sophisticated client base in a concise manner
- Ability to consider complex problems through the lenses of the client
- Strong understanding of corporate credit risk
- Aptitude for strategizing and structuring corporate banking solutions
- Skilled at building corporate relationships and identifying emerging client needs across SMBC's broad portfolio of products and services
- Comfortable creating presentations and pitching ideas to clients and management (external / internal)
- Ability to oversee junior staff / colleagues
- Adept at collaborating with all management levels, from analysts to managing directors
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- MBA a plus
- Series 63 and Series 79 preferred
- Required travel and need to work remotely up to 50% of time