We are seeking an Associate or Analyst to work in SMBC’s growing Corporate Solutions group. This position will be based in SMBC’s Houston office and will be responsible for working with Relationship Managers within SMBC’s Corporate Bank to cover Energy corporate clients and assist the team in elevating and enhancing the visibility of SMBC's role in the bank-client relationship leading to an increased level of strategic dialogue with clients and increase departmental revenue.
This individual will assist in origination efforts, analyzing companies and industries, preparing client presentations, executing transactions, and managing the due diligence process.
- Assist in the development of financing ideas and proposals based on a thorough understanding of our clients’ business needs as well as gathering and analyzing data in relevant industries for new deals
- Develop financial models and prepare client pitch books for corporate advisory in corporate finance, capital markets, and other related areas
- Work as a member of a deal execution team e.g. financial modeling, due diligence, and structuring
- Engage with clients through calls, discussions, client visits and SMBC-hosted events
- Prepare pitch books and set up internal/external meetings with clients
- Support the establishment of the Corporate Solutions platform required for business promotion and grow it by preparing internal rules, processes and procedures
- Train and mentor junior analysts
- This position regularly requires the ability to work long hours and some weekend work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business or Accounting preferred or equivalent education and training. Candidates majored in econimics, math, statistics and engineering with strong interests in finance or banking are encouraged to apply.
- 1 year of relevant work experience within a corporate / investment bank or financial institution preferred. Candidates with other relvant experience or with less experience but have demonstratable strong skills and interests are welcome.
- Highly proficient MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills are required.
- Experience or skills in Bloomberg, Capital IQ a plus.
- Series 63 and 79 preferred.
- Analyst training program a plus.
- CFA a plus.
- Strong understanding of relevant areas in corporate finance, capital markets or M&A.
- Knowledge of Oil & Gas industry a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to present well, organize thoughts and clearly articulate points and to communicate and propose complex capital solutions, including excel based financial models, to a sophisticated client base in a concise manner.
- Aptitude for strategizing and structuring corporate banking solutions to complex corporate finance problems using SMBC's product offerings.
- Self-driven and motivated; takes personal ownership of specific assignments.
- Highly collaborative and flexible in a team and client environment and ability to form good relationships internally and externally.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Able to quickly learn internal policies, processes, and other systems.
-Demonstrate an intellectual curiosity and interest in continuous learning with an ability to adapt to a culturally diverse and team oriented environment.