SMBC's US Corporate Banking Department is looking for an Associate to join its' growing Strategic Planning Group. US Corporate Banking has 3 primary offices, located in NY, Houston and LA, and provides over 300 U.S. companies with a wide range of financial services, as well as manages a loan portfolio of over $50 billion.
We are seeking a highly effective and motivated professional who is able to utilize business analytics to support management in making informed decisions. Candidates should understand how to optimize and work with internal information and data in order to convey business intelligence efficiently. As the role grows the candidate will have the opportunity to lead new business processes and work with senior staff throughout the bank.
The incumbent is responsible for bringing efficiency to a high volume of analytical data. This means knowing how to streamline existing reports, create new reports and decide what and how data should be presented visually so that it is transformed from data points to true business intelligence. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Work with the industry teams and bankers as well as planning management, product specialists, credit analysts, etc.) to understand the business issues specific to each team.
- Gather the appropriate structured and unstructured data.
- Add value to the data by crafting reports, spreadsheets and PowerPoint decks that contain both quantitative and qualitative information.
- Strategize: automate processes so that the solution becomes a best business practice.
- Provide insight into how we deploy our assets through updated reports, management dashboards and financial modeling
- Daily: Collect and maintain business analytics and reports from several databases which track revenue and ancillary business as well as and credit review sources
- Daily: Track deal highlights, best customer pitches/wins, breakthroughs, cross-border wins and similar performance benchmarks
- Weekly/Monthly: Publish professional activity dashboard, newsletters, capital resource assessments, KPIs for US Corporate Banking in conjunction with the Marketing Solutions team
- Ad hoc projects: Staff meeting updates, annual reports, regulators reports, internal “roadshow” presentation for management travel to SMBC global offices
- Bachelors’ degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science, or related field preferred, or its equivalent
- MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years in the investment industry with some specific experience with global bank products and terminology
- Minimum of 2 years prior experience in a business analyst role within finance, preferably in institutional or corporate banking as opposed to wealth management
- Highly experienced in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Access, credit review applications
- Excellent data analysis and business analytics: Utilize skills, technologies and practices to analyze past business performance in order to improve business practices and drive strategic planning
- Solid understanding of front office sales processes, revenue streams, portfolio management and credit risk
- Ability to develop a system of tracking and follow-up
- Strong time management skills, particularly for updating recurring reports
- Comfortable learning new applications, database access and proprietary internal systems
- Professional approach to dealing with busy people with many demands on their attention
- Discretion and sound judgement; able to handle confidential information appropriately