SMBC's Finance Strategy Department is looking for an Associate to join its Portfolio Management Team. The Associate will be responsible for supporting senior portfolio managers in the review of capital requests for new lending decisions, monitoring the Bank's portfolio and highlighting and recommending mitigants, and working across business units to provide advice to deal teams.
The Associate will also assist senior portfolio managers in ensuring capital is used within Bank's approved guidelines, risk return on capital is optimized, and mitigants are put into place to manage risk to the portfolio through analysis, projections, data management and strong relationships with deal teams. The position reports into the Managing Director and Head of the Portfolio Management team.
Strong preference for internal SMBC applicants who have experience using GBR and with our internal credit application process.
- Work with senior portfolio managers in review and approval of capital requests for new lending decisions, assist with the analysis of the portfolio and track and organize capital request submissions.
- Discuss individual deals with deal teams to ensure quality of Capital Request Form submission; improve transparency in the assessment and approval process; highlight relative value vs market data points (trading levels of loans, bonds, CDS, etc.)
- Use existing or develop strong GBR (proprietary credit management system) skills to assess projected ancillary and RAROC calculations.
- Advise Deal Teams, Credit Risk Department, and Senior Management on all matters related to committed lending (capital, funding, mitigation, credit risk, etc.)
- Monitor portfolio, highlight risk issues and recommend mitigations solutions.
- 2-5 years of comparable or relevant experience
- BA or BS, or its equivalent
- Prior experience in a marketing department preparing credit analysis and applications at a bank or financial institution. Experience using and submitting applications through SMBC's proprietary credit management system (GBR) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of SMBC Systems and processes preferred (GBR and credit application process).
- Ability to understand SMBC’s strategic objectives and credit risk management framework.
- Capability to deal with workload pressure under time constraint.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with senior portfolio managers on the team and with relationship managers across the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present capital requests to the Portfolio Management Group clearly and concisely.
- Ability to address any challenges that may affect the team and pro-actively provide recommendations and solutions.