SMBC's Project Finance Latin America Group is looking for a Bilingual Vice President (English/Spanish) to join the team, with a focus on Infrastructure. The Project Finance Latin America Group is located in New York and sits within SMBC's Specialized Finance Department.
The candidate will be responsible for originating, structuring and executing complex infrastructure project finance transactions in Latin America (financial advisory and lending), including transportation (ports, airports, roads, bridges, rail, subways, etc.), social infrastructure (hospitals, schools, detention centers, government facilities, etc.) and water related projects (aqueducts, irrigation, desalination, water treatment, etc). The candidate will work closely with the Infrastructure Sector Head and will also be expected to manage, train and mentor the more junior members of the Project Finance Latin America Group during the deal execution process.
- Lead the origination and execution of complex project finance transactions in Latin America with new and existing clients and with little oversight from the sector head. Cross-sell products that enhance return for the Bank (DCM, Financial Advisory, deposits, etc.)
- Present the transaction internally, lead the preparation of credit applications for all new transactions, manage the credit process with the Credit Department and back office, perform any due diligence activities, negotiate documentation, etc.
- Continuouly monitor and manage existing transactions, including the review and processing of waivers and amendments, internal reports, special credit requirements, etc.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other departments with overlapping clients in order to develop new business opportunities and enhance our position in the market.
- Well versed in external regulatory matters and internal compliance and policies and procedures; pro actively escalate operational risk loss events to management as necessary.
- Delegate and review the work of junior members of the team and provide guidance and feedback.
- Attend bank meetings, industry events, conferences and seminars and represent the bank as necessary in order to keep abreast of industry trends and developments and to expand network of client contacts.
- Minimum of 5 years prior experience in the project and/or structured finance field with a primary specialization in infrastructure finance in Latin America.
- Experienced in originating loans, guarantees and/or equity transactions, managing due diligence, financial modeling, mitigating credit and other risks, negotiating term sheets and finance documentation and related activities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a deal team. Specific and relevant experience in emerging market financing and investments, preferably in LATAM. International experience preferred.
- The position requires high level of qualitative and quantitative analysis, in-depth financial modeling and knowledge of the industry /regulatory specific in the region.
- Fluent in Spanish and English (Portuguese a plus but not a requirement).
- Deep understanding of Project Finance, Infrastructure Finance, Public Finance, Structured Finance, Project Bonds, Project Loans, Loan Sales & Syndication, Debt Capital Markets, Financial Advisory, Investment Banking, Financial Guarantees, PPPs.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills and experience with review and negotiation of project financing documentation.
- Knowledgeable of finance and debt advisory, acquisition finance, bond and equity underwriting, private placements, foreign exchange, asset securitization, cross-border M&A, and export credit agency services.
- Established relationships with key client contacts and relevant industry contacts in the Latam region. Knowledge of the region (local markets as well as political and economic dynamics in Latin America.)
- Expert knowledge in regulatory framework in region and fully versed in internal policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both written and verbal; comfortable presenting and negotiating externally with clients and key industry contacts and internally with senior management and Credit.
- Able to build and maintain a strong network of relationships across the Bank to support and facilitate communication and/or execution of new business ideas and opportunities.
- Effectively partner with other internal teams and product areas to offer solutions that will enhance and elevate SMBC’s visibility with new and existing clients.