SMBC's Global Trade Finance Department is looking for a Vice President who will be responsible for profit generation and client relationships for trade finance products related to South American financial institutions, with a focus on Brazilian financial institutions. This position will be expected to (1) to manage active client accounts and find new prospective clients for the growth of the portfolio, (2) assist in the growth and development of members of the GTFD F.I. Team, and (3) identify in advance key risks that may affect the performance of the portfolio and propose appropriate actions for a corrective strategy.
(1) Responsible for meeting budgets and results measurements; managing FI trade finance portfolio in line with the bank's credit appetite and profitability requirement, allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections.
(2) Identify, orignate and conclude FI trade finance transactions with existing and new FI customers in Brazil and other countries in Latin America.
(3) Negotiation of terms and conditions with clients and manage execution process for trade finance-related transactions.
(4) Identify and develop new and prospective clients, products and opportunities and develop ideas to deliver viable trade finance-based solutions in order to meet certain revenue targets
(5) Proactively ensure all compliance and risk guidelines are satisfied in transactions and in the portfolio, generally, manage risk through the documentation process and continually monitor projects to minimize and mitigate risk.
(6) Build relationships and collaborate with other members in the Global Trade Finance teams and the Bank's Corporate Banking, middle office, and back office departments.
(7) Ensure the smooth origination and execution of business transactions through clear instruction to junior staff and strong negotiation and communication skills with other members of senior management and appropriate counterparties.
(8) Initiate and lead cross-team collaboration across the Global Trade Finance Department to maximize the value of the Bank's products.
(9) Provide support to the team in order to champion and facilitate new business ideas and opportunities.
Percentage of travel required: 10-25%
- 7 to 10 years of specialized experience, and a minimum of 5 years working with trade finance products, specifically as they relate to LATAM organizations and Financial Institutions.
- Fluent in Portuguese required. Spanish language ability preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree required, or equivalent training.
- Ability to build a network of relationships across the Bank to obtain a detailed understanding of the overall needs of the Bank's corporate clients, globally, especially as it pertains to LATAM and Financial Institution-specific trade finance solutions and to facilitate seamless execution.
- Expert understanding of trade finance business products as well as credit risk, compliance risk, legal structure risk, conduct and operational risk.
- Expert understanding of trade finance and global market trends, and demonstrates the ability to react quickly to changing market conditions.
- Ability to initiate strategic, external business relationships and internal relationships with key counterparties. Anticipates and address any challenges that may affect the team and pro-actively provide recommendations and solutions.
- Expert knowledge of bank regulations and compliance matters and adheres to the risk parameters set forth by the bank as well as regulatory and compliance issues.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple teams and projects simultaneously.
- Strong new business skills and proven ability to win mandate across a full range of products.