SMBC Nikko Securities America is looking for an experienced Business Manager to join its Equity Sales and Trading Group (EST). The Business Manager will evaluate and upgrade EST infrastructure, with a focus on making systems and processes more efficient with higher quality output at greater speeds, while maintaining strict adherence to compliance and regulatory needs. The Business Maanger will also draft and lead implementation of a range of new business initiatives including derivatives sales and trading, report financing, etc.
(1) Initial Job Tasks:
- Lead the process of upgrading US and JPN equity infrastructure and trade procedures so that we can efficiently, effectively and in a compliant and properly risk-managed way expand the EST business footprint in support of the creation of the US equity research platform. This first involves working with the various SMBC support groups and key front office representatives to evaluate existing infrastructure, and then designing and implementing all necessary adjustments and changes. As a part of this responsibility, the middle office/settlement professionals within EST would report to the Business Manager.
- Establish strong working relationships with all key support groups and stakeholders outside of EST (Operations, Compliance, IT/Systems, Legal, Planning, etc). In the process of reviewing existing equity business practices, work closely with these groups to develop proposals for how these processes can be enhanced and stabilized, while balancing operational, business and reputational risk considerations with our business goals.
(2) Medium-/Long-Term Job Tasks:
- Consistent with the core goals of SMFG’s new Medium-Term Plan, the EST Business Manager will work closely with the Head of Equity to identify and pursue new business opportunities that leverage synergies between SMBC (the commercial bank) and SMBC Nikko. In particular, this will involve taking the lead in drafting and executing business plans for new products including:
(a) ISDA Agreements for: Delta One products (ETF’s, Futures, Equity Swaps, etc.); OTC Derivatives (Sales and Trading for both Japan and US Equities); Hedge Fund Financing (Repo); US$ settlement; Stock Loan; Self-Clearing (for ADR conversions and other purposes, consistent with FIST); and Commission Management
(b) Drafting and executing these plans will include:Setting timelines for completion, mapping out required tasks, educating internal stakeholders, gathering necessary information across business groups, working with compliance and risk management to limit business risk, and using prior experience and expertise to introduce best in class business practices to SMBC Nikko
(3) The EST Business Manager will also support efforts to grow our secondary US equity business as Nikko America builds out the US Equity research platform. This will include working closely with US Equity trading to enhance our capabilities and performance. In this capacity, the EST Business Manager will also collaborate with the Japan equity business, with a focus on targeting opportunities with overseas clients to trade US equities.
- Minimum 15 years experience in front office operations including equity trading, and related knowledge regarding equity trading support functions (middle office, settlements, etc), trading systems, and experience with a wide range of equity-related business products, including derivatives and fund financing.
- Experience leading the build-out of new businesses within equities, and with the project management involved in executing new business plans.
- Understanding of, and experience with, a wide range of product lines related to cash equities such as: equity derivatives, program trading, stock loan, repo financing, syndicate operations, self-clearing, registering as a market maker, ADR conversions, etc.
- Strong capability and communication skills to work across a range of functional groups including, IT/Systems, Operations, Settlement, Compliance (particularly important), Treasury, Legal, Accounting, etc.
**FINRA registrations are not required for initial job tasks, but if not already registered the Business Manager would need to pass the 3, 7, 63 within the first year and then possibly the 24 at a later date to assist in supervisory functions.