SMBC's Specialized Finance Department is looking for an Associate to join its' Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group. This position requires proactive management of the Bank’s relationship with borrowers and other lenders for those transactions in which SMBC acts as the Administrative Agent. The role is primarily transactional with a high degree of customer contact.
Within this role, the Associate will help ensure the smooth operation and administration of project finance and infrastructure loans in the U.S., Canada and Latin America; review compliance documents provided by borrower for completeness and accuracy; respond to information requests from borrowers and lenders; manage waiver, amendment and consents request approval processes; coordinate with external legal counsel, independent engineers and other consultants; and ensure proper handling of collateral documentation. This position reports to the Team Leader.
1. Review notices of borrowing and collateral account transfer requests per conditions precedent ("CPs") and evaluate whether the documents presented meet each of the CPs.
2. Coordinate amendment, consent and waiver requests with guidance from senior agency team members.
3. Review compliance documents submitted by the borrowers.
4. Follow up on overdue compliance documents.
5. Distribute compliance documents to lenders.
6. Ensure documents are properly filed and/or placed in safekeeping.
7. Respond to ad hoc information requests from lenders.
8. Open and monitor collateral accounts for transactions where SMBC is the depository bank.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in a corporate bank or financial institution with 1-2 years of Project Finance loan documentation experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training.
- Fluent in business Spanish strongly desired.
- MS Office Suite - Excel, Word, PowerPoint; knowledge of LIQ preferred
- Percentage of travel required: 0-10%; occasional travel to meet borrowers and/or attend bank meetings; may include international travel.
- Knowledge of project finance transaction structures and legal documentation.
- Familiarity with conditions precedent and compliance/reporting requirements.
- Very strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate clearly and logically (written and verbal).
- Ability to balance competing deadlines.