The Research Assistant will support the Corporate and Financial Research Departments within SMBC Americas. Both departments serve as independent repositories of information with the goal of supporting growth initiatives through research and advisory, helping senior management, marketing, credit and other departments with decision making to enhance profitability and mitigate/reduce the Bank’s risk. The Research Assistant plays a crucial role supporting due diligence functions through document and information presentation, in either English or Japanese, interacting with various internal departments employing various departmental resources. Overall, the Research Assistant sees a good balance between engaging support tasks related to credit research and other necessary tasks integral to the proper functioning of the Departments.
(1) Handling of inquiries from various internal departments.
(2) Supporting Department Head and analyst requests with respect to research report creation. This may require data mining, financial data input, charting, spreadsheet maintenance and translation.
(3) Preparation of various administrative internal reports for Department Heads.
(4) Preparation, collection and contribution of information for client presentations, internal or external.
(5) Supporting management during internal audit reviews.
Work Experience: 0 to 2 years of experience in Financial Services
Banking research support or ratings agency experience with some basic knowledge of accounting and financial statements
Education: BA or BS degree is required
Language Skills: Written and verbal skills (English/Japanese)
Software Systems: Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Functional knowledge of banking industry and banking products.
Familiarity with US and Japanese banking regulations; legislative and judicial processes.
Understanding of the research function and relationship to Americas businesses, various internal departments, and Head Office requirements.
Ability to interface with senior management.
Analytical; logical thinker and ability to synthesize information.
Ability to effectively manage multiple requests simultaneously.
Ability to interface with clients as needed.
Ability to conduct research as requested.
Ability to execute basic administrative tasks when requested.