This is an analyst level position in SMBC's Specialized Finance Department, Americas Division (SDAD) that will support associates and senior level officers in originating natural resource, energy related and infrastructure project loans as well as letters of credit to state and local governments. This role will be part of the 2018 Analyst Prgoram. Duties involve preparing credit applications, reviewing quarterly loan reports and conducting regular credit reviews of loans in the portfolio.
This position will also assist the marketing staff in preparing responses to RFPs, provide research and analytics, the preparation of marketing materials and other administrative tasks as required.
SDAD originates and oversees a portfolio consisting of a mix of North American energy -related(including natural resources, power and renewables) project finance, infrastructure and municipal LC transactions (e.g. transportation, social infrastructure, stadiums, hospitals, water authorities, school districts, general obligation states and cities)
The main function of this position is to provide analytical and administrative support to the senior members of the team.
· Prepare and assist bankers with applications to credit department including Q&A follow up with credit analyst, risk capital calculations and general facilitation
· Review quarterly loan reports and undertake regular credit reviews of loans in portfolio
· Assist bankers in the pre-screening of prospective clients seeking loan funding (pre-screen memos)
· Prepare and assist bankers with responses to RFPs
· Undertake research and analytics related to sectors and specific loan applications (including pro forma review, stress testing and other cash flow analysis)
· Administrative duties related to KYC, compliance, loan documents, pipeline reports, conferences, reimbursements, etc.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Accounting, Finance or a related academic field, or its equivalent.
· Excel, PowerPoint, Word knowledge
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Summer, semester or full year Internship experience with public finance, a financial institution, energy company or government agency
· Some academic background in Energy, Public Policy or Political Science
(Candidates without prior infrastructure or municipal finance experience will be considered, but such candidates will need to get up to speed quickly. Relevant degree qualification in finance/accounting with strong academic results)
· Ability to speak Japanese a plus
· Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
· Self-driven and motivated as well as able to work well in teams
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Candidates must have the ability and willingness to work over time, meet deadlines and take personal ownership of specific deals and assignments.
· Individuals should also be team oriented, have the ability to multi-task, and work under pressure. ·
· Candidates should possess a customer friendly attitude and have the ability to travel, as necessary.