SMBC is seeking a Transaction Examination Support (TES) Analyst- Night Shift. The group responsible for Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC Sanctions compliance and fraud detection for the US Operations. The group’s main functions is to perform real-time sanction screening of all wire transfers, SWIFT messages, ACH Payments, CIF/Account records.
Night Shift Hours are 12:00am-8:00am- Monday- Friday
The Sanctions/Fraud Analyst-Specialist role supports the Sanctions compliance team and focuses on managing the end to end process of development, enhancement and implementation of the automated monitoring system. This role requires interaction with a team of Sanctions/ Fraud Analyst to manage the transaction volumes, workflow, Customers and other Bank’s Department in order to meet deadlines.
Perform review, research, analysis, documentation, stop and release system-flagged transactions/ messages with potential hits to sanctioned parties when determination is clear.
· Escalate questionable cases to Compliance Department with results of research, recommendation and request decision for case disposal along with proper Compliance Management sign-off.
· Log cases that have been flagged as well as inquiries from our customers and Compliance and Legal Department’s decision to appropriate log sheet.
· Submit maintenance request to IT for updating sanctioned party databases.
· Conduct testing of sanction screening software and make recommendations including test exceptions and rules to mitigate false positive sanction hits.
· Review system-flagged web-instructed transactions for possible fraudulent activity and contact customer or Relationship Manager as required.
· Conduct Test upgrades to software related to the sanction-filtering process or Fraud detection software.
· Process and maintain SMBC NY Branch SWIFT Relationship Management Application (“RMA”) Authorizations.
· Ensure that the workflow volume for sanction screening is adequately managed.
· Work closely with the IT Sanctions team to ensure that the filtering tool is working optimally and that filter settings are reviewed periodically
· Document and maintain accurate and current documents on the rules, exclusions, rationale as to why certain parameters were put in place.
Preferred minimum of 0-2 years working experience in relevant OFAC compliance department.
Thorough understanding of legal aspects and record-keeping requirements of banking regulations relating to money transfer, Bank Secrecy Act and USA PATRIOT Act.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Other Skills, Abilities and/or Training:
Ability to use the Microsoft Suite to produce reports, etc., obtained by study and experience; study.
Strong knowledge of Payments such as FED, CHIPS, SWIFT & ACH. And Fircosoft sanction screening software is a plus.
Strong skills to effectively communicate with colleagues throughout the SMBC organization, up to Senior Management; obtained by experience.
Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes Share Point
Team oriented (coordination with peers)
Flexible (adaptable to changing priorities and demands of stakeholders)
Fast-paced (hundreds of decisions per day)
Able to work overtime as job may occasionally require.
Able to work night shift- Hours are Monday- Friday 12:00am-8:00am