SMBC's North America Project Finance Group is looking for an experienced Associate. The Associate will provide additional support to the Power, Natural Resources, Municipal and Infrastructure Project Finance teams in North America.
The main function of this position is to provide origination, execution, and analytical support to Project Finance arranging and advisory transactions in the aforementioned sectors. The Associate will be expected to provide significant contributions to external marketing, including developing and drafting presentations and pitchbooks, providing market intelligence, and maintaining internal resources and materials.
The Associate will also manage execution of advisory and debt arranging processes, including both external and internal tasks and requirements, sush as due diligence, coordinating processes with clients, advisors, other lenders and internal partners. In addition, the Associate will be responsible for the development of detailed project finance models, which will include multiple debt tranches across loan and capital markets, scenario and sensitivity analyses, and key metrics and outputs.
- Support the origination of new opportunities by preparing pitch books and presentation materials related to client marketing.
- Contribute to, and maintain group's industry intelligence and relevant current events and developments
- Manage the internal credit process with minimal support including, conducting analysis and research, preparing credit applications and managing communications with Credit and back office.
- Support the execution process by reviewing due diligence reports, coordinating with clients, advisors, and internal counterparties.
- Directly build or supervise the development of Excel financial models for project finance transactions with the ability to create various financing structures and credit metrics.
- Manage analyst resources on transactions; promote skill building and knowledge transfer to train junior staff
- Manage the quarterly and annual reviews of loan portfolio and handle a variety of system and procedural issues related to the borrowers such as internal grading, monthly/quarterly reporting, and other ad hoc projects.
- Assist in monitoring and managing existing transactions including waivers, amendments, dividend transactions, loan closings and funding, and other credit events that may impact the borrower.
- Present research and analytics to senior marketing officers that supports new business opportunities stay abreast of industry trends and current market conditions.
- 5-7 years of experience at a major financial institution; project finance lending, investment or advisory experience highly preferred, although consideration will be given to experience in investment banking, corporate banking, or credit related functions.
- Direct experience working on energy or infrastructure related financing transactions.
- Proven experience in financial modeling, presentations, and drafting underwriting/investment memoranda
- Project finance modeling
- Project finance credit analysis
- Experience in drafting credit applications
- Experience in reviewing contracts and credit documentation
- Experience drafting client presentations and pitches
- Experience managing external consultants