The Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group is responsible for monitoring credit performance of the SMBC’s project finance, Latin American corporate loan and domestic public finance portfolio. The Latin American project finance portfolio consists primarily of power plants, offshore drill rigs and mines. The Latin American corporates portfolio encompasses a variety of top-tier corporate borrowers. The domestic public finance portfolio consists largely of letters of credit which provide contingent liquidity for variable rate bonds issued by U.S. public entities (municipalities, states, governmental bodies, etc). The role entails leading credit monitoring/control/administration of a portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying potential credit issues early. In addition, a significant portion of the role involves analyzing consent/waiver requests, evaluating the credit impact of the request and any mitigants and preparing an application for credit approval of the request.
1. Responsible for implementing strategy that will minimize credit risk in line with the firm's objectives, as well as assisting in the underwriting process for potential new borrowers.
2. Responsible for mitigating loss by counterparty credit analysis related to a range of products marketed to corporate, institutional and / or government clients.
3. Analyze the overall credit worthiness of organizations and their ability to meet their financial obligations for traditional credit-based products, as well as a variety of “structured” banking transactions, traded products and underwriting activities.
4. Responsible for conducting periodic credit monitoring of borrowers, evaluating borrower requests for waivers/consents and making a recommendation as to whether to support such requests.
5. Responsible for effective credit and risk management, with emphasis on adherence to credit policy and requirements, financial analysis/modeling, risk evaluation, and as needed, assist on-going portfolio maintenance activities, and as needed client support.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a bank or credit function.
- Project Finance experience required.
- Prefer candidates who have previously held a position in either the credit department or the portfolio monitoring department of a lending institution
- Strong background in accounting and financial statement analysis is preferred.
- CFA preferred
- Ability to speak/read business Portuguese and/or Spanish preferred
- Deep understanding of the associated legal documents and financial analysis.
- Expected to have highly advanced level of credit experience including credit and covenant structures.
- Knowledge of credit structures, rapidly complete complex credit analysis.
- Broad knowledge of the Project Finance market and the ability to manage risk within a complex and diverse relationship portfolio.
- Knowledge of LATAM market and broad range of Specialized Finance products.
- Abilty to develop a tightly structured written argument in a clearly reasoned format. Specifically, must be able to describe a situation, why the situation has occurred, what are the ramifications of the situation and what should be done in response.
- Proactive/self-motivated approach to tasks with a demonstrated desire to continuously improve his/her understanding of all aspects of the role (i.e. demonstrate intellectual curiosity).
- Ability to communicate clearly and logically (written and verbal): 30%- Meticulous in approach to assignments.
- Ability to clearly articulate an argument in writing which is well-organized and which flows logically
- Strong ability to balance competing deadlines
- Ability to work independently but not afraid to ask questions
- Highly self-motivated and proactive in the his/her approach to work
- Very detail focused
- Able to work under tight time deadlines from time to time
- Adaptable to unexpected situations
- Good familiarity with using Microsoft Excel