The Analyst or Associate will support relationship managers ("RM") with marketing efforts for both existing and prospective clients, assist managing client relationships and generate new business as a supporting RM, engage in new client prospecting, assist and manage the credit application process, and monitor the customer portfolio. This role will sit within the Consumer and Retail Team of SMBC's US Corporate Banking department.
The job responsibilities are described herein:
Analysis, Execution and Monitoring:
- Conduct analysis and research on the performance of borrowers to assess historical performance and future projections; i.e. Cash flow analysis, risk capital calculations.
- Gather support documentation to structure deals, liaise with back office for KYC purposes, and assist in drafting pre-screen memos for the Credit Department.
- Conduct quarterly and annual reviews of loan portfolio and handle a variety of system and procedural issues related to the borrowers such as internal grading, monthly/quarterly reporting, and other ad hoc projects.
- Coordinate with legal, back office and senior management for client onboarding and execution of legal documentation related to loan closings, amendments and funding.
- Undertake research and analytics related to specific sectors, regions or loans, and stay abreast of current market conditions.
- Provide ad hoc reports for management.
- Support relationship managers in business promotion including client pitching, presentation material preparation, conference calls, client meetings and due diligence.
- Follow market trends, collect marketing intelligence and propose ideas to the team for new opportunities.
- Assisting with client development (coordinate data with clients, assist in presentation of new ideas to clients).
- Monitor and evaluate current events related to the specific assigned sector and advise RM of these events.
Work Experience: 0 to 3 years of experience in a financial or credit analysis or a related position in an investment or corporate banking group. Experience will dictate title (Analyst - Associate).
Required: BA/BS or its equivalent
Preferred: MA/MS/MBA. CFA or CPA a plus
Software Systems/Programming Languages: Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to organize thoughts, clearly articulate points, and provide summaries and explanations of transactions, verbally or in writing, to clients, management or other internal departments.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Strong accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and perform cash flow analysis proficiently.
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to execute transactions from beginning to end with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding financial modeling/valuation and analytical skill.
- Knowledge and skill in legal documentation.
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new processes and systems.