SMBC's North America Public Finance Team is looking for an Associate to provide analytical and execution support to the senior colleagues on the team. The individual will provide analytical, marketing and execution support to the senior colleagues on the public financel team through the preparation of credit applications, proposals, presentation materials as well as a strong focus on monitoring and managing reviews, including the tracking of issuer market prices and remarketing rates on the portfolio. The role is sector agnostic, but the individual will provide support to the Public and Infrastructure Finance team across North America. Some excel financial modeling will be required. This position reports directly to the group head of the Public Finance Group within the Specialized Department Americas Division (SDAD).
The individual should be able to run the credit process and assist with execution of municipal transactions including preparing credit applications, managing communications with the credit department and back office, conduct regular annual credit reviews of the portfolio, review due diligence and financial reports, coordinate processes with clients, financial advisors, and other internal groups as needed. This individual will also support marketing efforts by providing market intelligence, preparing marketing materials and presentations to support new business opportunities/ideas and develop term sheets/proposals for clients. The individual should act as a mentor for analysts on the team/pool and assist onboarding of accounts and KYC procedures. The individual will be responsible for some excel financial modeling with the ability to create and work on various financing structures including municipal underwriting tasks.
- Run the credit process with minimal support including, conducting financial analysis and research, preparing credit applications and managing communications with credit department and back office.
- Support the execution process by reviewing financials, disclosure information and due diligence reports, coordinating with clients, financial advisors, and internal counterparties.
Some excel financial modeling is required with the ability to create various financing structures and credit metrics.
- Manage portfolio exposures and metrics as well as conduct annual reviews of the portfolio.
- Prepare term sheets/proposals, track and monitor RFPs.
- Handle a variety of system and procedural issues related to the borrowers such as internal grading, certain calculations and help coordinate closings.
- Work with senior colleagues to prepare pitch books and presentation materials related to client marketing including assisting with bond pitches for municipal underwriting opportunities.
- Assist in monitoring and managing existing transactions including waivers, amendments, and extensions.
- Present research and analytics to senior marketing officers that support new business opportunities and stay abreast of industry trends and current market conditions.
- Provide ad hoc reports for management.
- 3-5 years of prior experience required
- Series 7/79/52 preferred
- Experienced in preparing credit applications, performing municipal financial analysis, ability to read and interpret financial statements, and be able to run the credit process from start to finish with minimal support.
- Highly collaborative and flexible in a team and client environment and ability to form good relationships internally and externally. Provide guidance to Analysts. Coordinate and communicate with various internal departments across the bank (middle/back office).
- Ability to organize thoughts and clearly articulate points and provide summaries and explanations of transactions, verbally or in writing to management or other internal departments.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new processes and systems. Works well in a culturally diverse and team oriented environment. Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and an interest in continuous learning.
- Self-driven and motivated; takes personal ownership of specific assignments.