SMBC is seeking an experienced credit officer at the VP level for primary coverage of commercial real estate, REITs, hospitality and gaming companies in the Americas. As part of the Credit Department for the Americas (“CDAD”), she/he will evaluate corporate banking transactions, analyze credit risk and provide credit approvals. The individual will be responsible for managing a substantial, complex and dynamic credit portfolio, interfacing with the relationship managers at the business unit through all phases of the credit cycle.
• Analyze credit risk elements of real estate transactions in the Americas (CRE, REITs, hospitality and gaming) and present written executive summaries to the management of CDAD.
• Maintain and oversee the credit quality of the real estate portfolio and provide feedback to business units to ensure consistent and complete credit applications.
• Provide guidance to the business units to ensure compliance with internal credit standards.
• Monitor and supervise problem loans, and present credit recovery solutions to senior management.
• Manage overall compliance with internal policies, work flow procedures, regulations, etc.
• Undertake other credit related work and initiatives, as assigned. This includes the flexibility to assist with other portfolio coverage sectors when needed, including subscription finance (secured liquidity facilities to investment funds).
The position will require an individual with:
• 7 to 10 years of prior experience as a corporate banking credit officer in a major global money center bank.
• 5 to 7 years of commercial real estate corporate banking or equivalent experience.
• Experience in working on real estate transactions where the bank’s minimum final commitment exceeds $50MM.
• Bachelor's degree. Prefer an advanced degree from a rigorous business or finance program, or a CFA Charterholder or an advanced candidate.
The candidate will possess:
• Expertise and an in-depth knowledge of the real estate, hospitality and gaming sectors and an advanced knowledge of corporate finance and accounting, including the ability to review and opine on real estate appraisals and analyzing cash flow projections.
• Robust analytical, quantitative and qualitative skills and ability to review and synthesize a vast amount of complex credit information and think critically and strategically to form independent credit judgments based on the key risk and mitigating factors of highly structured transactions.
• Strong written and oral communication skills are particularly important, and the individual is expected to interact effectively with professionals at the highest levels of the Bank.
• Superior attention to detail, and able to manage multiple projects and meet tight competing deadlines.
• Strong team-based orientation. Ability to build relationships and consensus across business units. Capable of mentoring younger professionals.
• A high level of business software proficiency, including MS Word and MS Excel.