The Associate General Counsel, Americas Division for Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation will work within the Legal Department and report to the Deputy General Counsel. He or she will support the general day to day functions of the Legal Department in a general corporate practice environment.
Primary responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to, responding to front office inquiries about transactions, regulatory issues and other legal matters and providing advice under the supervision of senior legal department attorneys; drafting and reviewing loan and security documentation, and other financial products such as letters of credit, asset purchase and lease documentation, loan assignment and participation documentation, and confidentiality agreements, assisting with preparation of regulatory filings, document review and production in connection with litigation or subpoena compliance.
I. Bank and Regulatory Counsel (estimated 70%)
- Review facility documentation drafted/proposed by other parties, and draft facility documents
- Review of existing documents for Fed Pledge purposes
- Review, prepare, and advise on loan documentation, letters of credit, participation agreements both on LSTA forms and non- LSTA forms, asset purchase and trade finance documentation
- Regulatory filing compliance assistance
- Review of vendor contracts
- Review of internal policies and procedures
II. Miscellaneous duties (30%)
- General corporate practice as part of the Legal Department.
- Dealing with internal clients and management
- Admission to the NY Bar (or clear qualification of eligibility for waiving in from another jurisdiction with which NY has reciprocity)
- 3 years minimum experience in a major law firm, with corporate, finance or banking experience. (4-5yrs preferred)
- Experience with supply chain finance, subscription finance preferable but not required
- Experience with banking regulations and regulatory filings, preferable but not required.
- Experience with Japanese companies or banks preferable, but not required.
- Strong communications skills, ability to work under pressure, and cross-cultural sensitivity are required.
- International experience is a plus, but not required.
-Japanese Fluency is a plus, but not required.