The Corporate Solutions team within SMBC's US Corporate Banking Department is looking for a Director level incumbent. Within this role the Director will: (1) develop and deliver product-agnostic capital structure advisory and solutions to SMBC's corporate client base; (2) lead teams advising SMBC's existing clients through complex capital advisory transactions, specifically in evaluating various capital structure alternatives and financing opportunities that help them achieve their strategic objectives; (3) work with various product partners - including loan syndication and capital markets - to deliver product-agnostic solutions; and (4) partner with more senior marketing officers within Corporate Solutions to transact complex transactions and work with analysts or associates on projects, who would provide analytical support. This role is located in Houston, Texas.
1. Develop and deliver best-in-class financing ideas and proposals to U.S. Corporate Banking clients - including capital structure optimization, credit implications, and capital markets positioning - leading to in-depth discussions based on client needs and developments in the market.
2. Augment and broaden strategic dialogue with clients through ongoing client engagement, with calls, discussions, visits, information updates and SMBC-hosted events.
3. Leverage the expertise and capabilities of other SMBC businesses to provide product-agnostic solutions.
4. Provide insights into how Credit Rating agencies assess clients and assign ratings to capital structures.
5. Train and develop VPs, analysts and associates within SMBC's Corporate Solutions Group.
- 10+ years of experience working at a corporate or investment bank.
- Bachelor's degree required or its equivalent; MBA or Master's degree preferred.
- Formal credit training a plus.
- Series 79 & 63, CFA preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Understanding of the needs and interests of various capital providers and how these can be put together to provide clients with optimal capital solutions.
- Ability to understand, think through and develop solutions to complex corporate finance problems using SMBC's product offerings.
- Broad knowledge of SMBC 's suite of products in order to provide product agnostic advisory.
- Develop and maintain a network of client relationships as well as relationships across SMBC to obtain a detailed understanding of the overall needs of our corporate clients to facilitate seamless execution.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail; clearly articulates view point orally and in marketing and presentation materials. Comfortable presenting in front of clients and internally to credit committees and senior management.
- Understanding of market trends with flexibility to react quickly to changing market conditions.
- Knowledge of some elements of credit and risk principles and all legal and compliance regulations pertaining to lending.
- Travel required: 25%+ of job