SMBC's Global Trade Finance Department is looking for a strong VP who will be responsible for the credit monitoring/control/administration of a portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying potential credit issues early. This role will report into the Senior Credit Officer of the Department. The role involves analyzing the credit risk of borrowers and countries where they are located, evaluating the credit impact of various events and finding any mitigants and preparing a credit application (or renewal application) for credit approval of the request. The VP will also be responsible for enhancing daily operation in execution of various transactions from the credit perspective. Provide guidance as required to less experienced staff within the team.
- Prepare credit applications, review credit applications and collaborate with other business departments for jointly controlled names as required.
- Pro-actively manage names within the assigned credit portfolio for any significant news and or signs of deterioration, using among others; Capital IQ, Ratings Reports, Company website, and Bloomberg, as well as any other news outlets.
- Provide quarterly and annual reviews of assigned credit portfolio.
- Support on-going administration, amendments and renewals of transactions.
- Rapidly familiarize with internal Credit Policies and Procedures, and be the local expert on applicable rules.
- Provide guidance and training for colleagues in the marketing teams on the internal credit application tracking system, GBR.
- Act as the local expert on internal credit policies and prcedures and keep abreast of any credit policy updates as necessary.
- 7 to 10 years of specialized experience in Financial Services.
- Knowledge of relevant bank products and structures and bank regulations, and risk factors and regulatory matters.
- Familiarity of trade finance products such LCs, Guarantee, SCF/ARP.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to organize and articulate thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing, to management or other internal departments.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Strong accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and proficiently perform cash flow analysis.
- Analytical and critical- thinking skills, ability to synthesize large amounts of information, analyze risk and identify mitigating factors.
- Strong leadership to provide day-to-day support to junior staff and delivers timely and actionable feedback, provides employees with assignments that will develop their abilities and regularly coaches staff to reinforce learning experiences.
- Capability to coordinate and communicate with various internal departments across the bank (middle/back office, global counterparts).
- Highly collaborative and flexible in a team and client environment and ability to form good relationships internally and externally.
Business fluency/ working knowledge in Spanish