JRI America, Inc. is seeking a Sr. Linux Systems Engineer to work in the Enterprise Systems group.
The person in this position will be responsible for the installation, maintenance, and tuning of Linux hardware and software systems and providing technical analysis and design support for applications running on Linux platform.
This person will manage project and task deliverable commitments, system changes and upgrades as well as perform system-debugging tasks and track from incident detection through resolution (including Vendor escalations).
The Sr. Linux Systems Engineer will work individually or in a team on various system projects related to Linux, Storage, and Application Support. If successful, you will be part of an energetic team of engineers and administrators who are responsible for the servers and support tools which form a key part of the infrastructure which underpins our business.
You will work as part of a global team to ensure system availability, stability and project delivery
Technical Analysis and Design: 20%
- Work on Architecture & Engineering, and Security projects to secure/harden Linux Operating System deployment in production
- Make system hardware and software recommendations as required
- Assist in evaluating new hardware and software and develop creative solutions to complex technological challenges
- Stay abreast with technical and operational tools and knowledge required to perform assigned duties
Provisioning, Patching and Upgrade: 20%
- Prepare, install and implement operating software (RedHat Linux and AIX) and associated components
- Plan, prepare and apply maintenance fixes to system software and firmware as required
- Work on Architecture & Engineering, and Security projects to implement new products and upgrade existing Infrastructure
Preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and fix: 10%
- Debug and solve complex problems associated with Linux servers in production and test environment
Automation and Development: 25%
- Develop and maintain scripts to automate tasks and deployment
- Develop test plans for implementing new software or new releases of software
Performance tuning and Analysis: 5%
- Tune system software for peak performance and availability
Operational Support and Training: 10%
- Provide end users and Developers with support including off-shift and on-call support
- Provide technical training for Information Technology personnel as needed
- Test and implement hardware and software upgrades and if necessary, work off shift hours to implement changes with minimal downtime
Technology Recovery and Resiliency: 10%
- Maintain Linux/UNIX Disaster Recovery Plan and actively participate in Technology and Business Recovery activities
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
5+ years' experience in Linux Systems Engineering and Administration, with increasing administrative and leadership responsibilities or an equivalent in education and work experience.
Extensive knowledge and experience in all facets of Linux Systems Engineering & Administration, decision-making, and technical work management skills.
5+ years of RedHat Linux Advanced Systems Administration experience with RHCE certification.
Experience with Ansible preferred.
Experience with working in a SAN environment (EMC VMAX/VPLEX) preferred.
Experience with Oracle RAC and ASM luns served from an EMC Enterprise SAN preferred.
Experience with RedHat Clustering preferred.
Good organization and documentation skills
Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
Ability to work effectively in a team
Operating system engineering (Linux)
o RPM based Linux distributions
o Oracle RAC
o PowerPath, Multipath
o kickstart, cobbler
System performance assessment and OS tuning
Automation & Scripting (Ansible, Puppet, bash, ksh, nsh, python, perl)
Integrate new technologies into environment working directly with the Architecture teams
Produce and maintain internal knowledgebase articles
Skills and Special Requirements
Provides off shift and on-call support on weekdays and holidays when required.
- Occasionally drive to Wappingers Falls, NY Disaster Recovery site for server maintenance or support activities