Senior level marketing officer for the Bank's Global Trade Finance Department ("GTFD"). Responsible for developing strategy and leading the origination, structuring and execution of new business for the Export & Agency Finance (“EAF”) group in the Americas. Origination responsibilities include Agency covered buyer's credits and untied facilities for sovereign, corporate and FI borrowers as well as, working closely with relevant teams, project finance transactions. The candidate will also work as a senior client relationship manager for their assigned agencies. This person should have in depth knowledge and understanding of programs offered by Export Credit Agencies (“ECAs”), Development Banks and Multilateral Agencies(“MLAs”) and should have the ability to market, structure and execute new business for SMBC under these programs. The role requires collaboration with colleagues across both the product platform and coverage and funding functions. Responsible for developing new applications of ECA/MLA products in order to offer competitive alternatives to meet SMBC customer financing needs. The role requires the candidate to take responsibility for and ownership of all aspects of a transaction from initial proposal through mandate, credit and other internal processes to documentation and financial close, whilst simultaneously managing and developing junior staff on the team. A successful candidate will be energized by the very competitive market for ECA/MLA finance and adept at finding creative ways to enhance the bank’s value proposition in a market where price is a significant differentiator.
1. Origination - A self-starter with the ability to develop strategy and generate new business to meet defined profitability targets.
2. Loan Structuring and Execution – Negotiate and structure export credit and multilateral and bilateral risk solutions in support of complex credits involving sophisticated participants, including project sponsors, commercial banks, attorneys, advisors and Agency personnel. Ability to transfer these skills into the creation of tangible revenue sources in the minimum time necessary to perform such role successfully and responsibly.
3. Relationship Management – on a transaction basis, manage relationship coverage and act as the senior point of contact with external parties such as project sponsors, agencies, and other lenders on behalf of SMBC proposing creative financing solutions for bank customer needs. For assigned agencies, provide coverage and expertise to other groups within the SMBC global platform.
4. Build a good understanding of the internal business culture and business processes in order to navigate through the organization effectively; Initiate/lead/cooperate cross-team collaboration working across regional teams of the global GTFD platform and Americas division (PF teams, Credit Dept, etc.) and implement the Group’s shared, unified and integrated strategies. Understand and ensure adherence to all risk and compliance guidelines for new and existing transactions.
5. Play a key role in asset and portfolio management for the purpose of managing risk; possess a good understanding of banking regulations, internal and external policies. Keep abreast of various rules and procedures for ECA financing as outlined, among other sources, under the “Arrangement on Officially Supported Export Credits” (OECD Consensus) and review any amendments from time-to-time.
6. Assist in leading, motivating and coaching junior staff in furtherance of meeting the team’s goals and objectives.
7. Enhance the reputation of the EAF team by enhancing EAF visibility among internal senior management across the organization as well as ECA/MLA finance industry activities.
1. Minimum of 10 years specialized experience in the financial industry and a minimum of 5 years recent experience as an originator of ECA/MLA finance. Demonstrated ability to create and successfully implement ECA/MLA finance origination plans. Knowledge of various rules and procedures for ECA financing as outlined, among other sources, under the “Arrangement on Officially Supported Export Credits” (OECD Consensus). Understanding and experience with trade and project finance in Latin America. Exposure to the various policies and financing programs offered by the major DFIs and MLAs and an understanding of such Agencies and their respective financing programs preferred. Specific bank/sponsor/agency contacts strongly desired.
2. Proficiency in MS Office Suite; Word, Excel, PowerPoint
3. Ability to work across teams in a collaborative manner
4. Education BS/BA – minimum required. MBA – strongly desired
5. Language English and Spanish; Portuguese a plus
6. Percentage of travel required: 25% or greater
1. Talented marketing/origination professional able to translate customer needs into successful proposals.
2. Skilled at navigating internal processes and understanding/overcoming perceived weaknesses in project proposals.
3. Ability to initiate and develop internal and external strategic relationships.
4. Able to make decisions in difficult situations in the best interest of the business and its objectives; adept at making difficult decisions in order to resolve situations or manage through change.
5. Regularly supports the professional development of direct reports through the delivery of timely feedback; engages more junior staff with assignments that will develop their abilities and regularly coaches staff to reinforce learning experiences.
6. Provides clear direction, distributes workloads, identifies priorities and maintains an engaged dialogue with team members to achieve desired results.
7. Can meet individual/team goals successfully, bottom-line oriented, steadfastly pushes self for results. Meets expected work outcomes in a timely and quality manner while demonstrating SMBC's 5 Values.
8. In conjunction with ED, develops and communicates the team’s vision, goals and plan of execution in support of business priorities. Gives clear guidance to junior staff, instruction and advice for any type of deals, roles and projects and project a positive outlook, particularly in challenging situations.
9. Able to effectively execute team tasks and projects. Anticipates possible issues and develops contingency plans in advance trends in the industry or marketplace and develops plans to prepare for opportunities or obstacles.
10. Builds and maintains strong internal and external relationships effectively.
11. Ability to articulate ideas and opinions clearly verbally and in writing with internal and external parties. Listen actively and engage others for their opinions; demonstrate strong negotiation and selling skills.
12. Initiates strategic, external business relationships and internal relationships with key counterparties. Anticipates and addresses any challenges that may affect the team and pro-actively provide recommendations and solutions.
13. Knowledgeable of bank regulations and compliance matters and adheres to the risk parameters set forth by the bank as well as regulatory and compliance issues as they relate to trade finance.