The Regulatory Officer works with the Regulatory Team within SMBC's Planning Department to assist with the development and maintenance of a governance and regulatory framework for SMBC.
This role is responsible for supporting regulatory examinations, reviews, and inquiries by responding to information requests, preparing documentation or presentations, scheduling and preparing minutes of key meetings with stakeholders, responding to findings with corrective action. Applies subject matter expertise in the management of exams/reviews and works independently under moderate supervision. Escalates complex or critical matters to supervisors or more experienced staff. Reports to the Director of PDAD Governance.
1. Notifies senior management and other relevant personnel of upcoming examinations and advises on scope, focus of exam and expectations.
2. Reviews document requests and previews with examiners to narrow and define focus of discovery.
3. Facilitates the collection of documents before, during and after on-site review and performs due diligence review to ensure the quality of the documentation before submission to the regulators.
4. Schedules and attends meetings with regulators and firm employees to ensure regulatory needs are addressed; documents the content of meetings and timely communicates to senior management and relevant parties.
5. Follows up for disposition letters to determine examination findings, works with relevant business units to ensure remediation plan meets regulatory requirements and improve future examination results; inputs findings into SharePoint and addresses any findings.
6. Tracks status of regulatory inquiries, exams, reviews and findings and circulates information in weekly status reports.
7. Maintains all regulatory correspondence, transmittal letters, management responses and remediation action in a central repository.
8. Maintains frequent communication with regulators and promptly share feedback to management and relevant business units on regulatory expectations
9. Escalates to management and relevant business units on potential issues observed during or outside the exams and reviews to ensure that potential issues may be properly addressed in early stage
10. Monitors regulatory supervisory focuses and trends and works with relevant business units to ensure changes are accounted for and addressed.
11. Develops and updates regulatory procedures manual and user manual for regulatory SharePoint sites.
12. Monitors and reports FR Y-10 reportable events
13. Works with relevant groups to enhance the regulatory governance framework and internal controls
14. Works closely with all regulatory and governance staff and assists with other PDAD functions as needed.
· 5 to 7 years of specialized experience in Financial Services
· Financial services industry with 3+ years' experience within Compliance or Corporate Governance department in a foreign banking institution
· Project management expertise and knowledge of project management methodology in financial services environments.
· Knowledge of financial markets and regulatory requirements for banking business.
· Attentive to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
· Proficient in organizing and tracking progress on multiple tasks and projects with strong follow through and time management skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills