This individual will support senior team members in developing and managing client relationships by taking an active role in developing, structuring and executing a broad range of advisory and financial transactions for our clients. Associates also provide guidance to analysts. Work closely with senior and junior team members in all stages of transaction execution including financial analysis and modeling, creating and preparing presentations and interacting with clients and various departments within the firm.
1. Create and/or work with complex financial models which support the analysis of companies in particular sectors. This will frequently require creating detailed proforma models.
2. Assist in obtaining merger and acquisition (M&A) mandates, debt and equity capital market transactions and loans by leveraging the execution and lending capabilities of SMBC and SMBC Nikko. Support senior bankers in the origination of new transactions by preparing presentation materials, analyzing companies and industries and gathering necessary information.
3. Support the execution of transactions by valuing firms, managing the due diligence process and preparing meeting materials.
4. Assist in the establishment of the platform, including extensive (deep dive) analysis of targeted clients, helping create the databases and other information needed for the development and ongoing operations of specific sectors.
5. Help coordinate internally with other stakeholders regarding client interactions, transactions and credit approvals.
- Minimum 3 full years of experience at the analyst level in an investment or corporate banking group.
- Strong written and verbal English communications skills.
- Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to organize thoughts, clearly articulate points, and provide summaries and explanations of transactions, verbally or in writing, to clients, management or other internal departments.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Strong accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and perform cash flow analysis proficiently.
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to prepare client materials and execute transactions with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding financial modeling/valuation and analytical skill.
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new processes and systems.
- Leadership skills (will assist in leading and training junior staff)
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in investment banking and / or relevant industry / sector experience.
- Very strong analytical skills
- Expert level energy & infrastructure and / or cash flow modeling skills
- BA/BS degree required and MBA or CFA a plus
- Leadership skills (will help lead and train junior staff)
- Strong written and verbal English communications skills; fluency in Spanish highly preferred
- Series 79 & 63 licenses required (if candidate does not currently have licenses they will be required to pass the exams very shortly after starting)