SMBC's Global Structured Finance Department is looking for a Vice President to join its Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group.
The Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group is responsible for monitoring credit performance of SMBC’s project finance portfolio. The North American project finance portfolio consists of power, energy and PPF/PFI transactions. The role entails leading credit monitoring/control/administration of a portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying potential credit issues early. In addition, a significant portion of the role involves analyzing consent/waiver requests, evaluating the credit impact of the request and any mitigants and preparing an application for credit approval of the request.
1. Responsible for creating strategy that will minimize credit risk in line with the firm's objectives, as well as assisting in the underwriting process for potential new borrowers.
2. Responsible for mitigating loss by counterparty credit analysis related to a range of products marketed to corporate,
institutional and / or government clients.
3. Oversee the overall credit worthiness of organizations and their ability to meet their financial obligations for traditional
4. Responsible for monitoring and reporting on the portfolio quality against established criteria and recommending
adjustments to existing credit facilities, as appropriate.
5. Responsible for effective credit and risk management, with emphasis on adherence to credit policy and requirements,
financial analysis/modeling, risk evaluation, and as needed, assist on-going portfolio maintenance activities, and as
needed client support.
6. Work with the borrower, legal counsel, the independent engineer and other consultants as necessary to structure and
manage consent processes (including but not limited to waivers and amendments of financing documents, etc.)
- Continuously monitor the analyst’s portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying deteriorating situations early
- Prepare detailed, well-organized, error-free periodic reviews of the analyst’s portfolio of borrowers
- Analyze and, if appropriate, seek credit approval for amendment and consent requests sought by borrowers. In preparing
applications for credit approval, the analyst must have a good understanding of the request, the impact of the proposed
consent on the credit risk of the borrower/transaction, any mitigants to the increased risk and the justification for approval
of the request.
- Update "Know Your Customer" (KYC) information for borrowers
- Respond to ad hoc information requests
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a bank or credit function.
- Prefer candidates who have previously held a position in either the credit department or the portfolio monitoring
department of a lending institution
- Strong background in accounting and financial statement analysis is preferred.
- Required: BA / BS
- Preferred: MA / MS / MBA
- CFA preferred
1. Deep understanding of the associated legal documents and financial analysis.
2. Expected to have highly advanced level of credit experience, documentation experience in proposing and negotiating,
both internally and externally, credit and covenant structures and documenting loans.
3. Knowledge of credit structures, rapidly complete complex credit analysis, negotiates and close complete asset based
credit transactions, often involving multiple providers of debt and capital.
4. Broad knowledge of the Project Finance market and the ability to manage risk within a complex and diverse relationship portfolio.
5. Allocate and assign appropriate resources. Review credit with selected junior credit executives/officers.
6. Ability to manage the delivery of underwriting of direct and agent support to the line units to ensure timely and quality
support in addition to compatibility with Bank's risk appetite and profile.
7. Deep understanding of regulatory, compliance framework.
8. Ability to effectively manage and mentor team.
9. Knowledge of a broad range of Specialized Finance products.
- Clearly articulate an argument in writing which is well-organized and which flows logically
- Strong ability to balance competing deadlines
- Ability to work independently but not afraid to ask questions
- Highly self-motivated and proactive in his/her approach to work
- Be very detailed-focused
- Able to work under tight time deadlines from time to time
- Adaptable to unexpected situations
- Good familiarity with using Microsoft Excel