SMBC's Global Structured Finance Department is looking for an Associate to join its Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group.
The Portfolio Monitoring and Planning Group is responsible for monitoring credit performance of SMBC’s project finance portfolio. The North American project finance portfolio consists of power, energy and PPF/PFI transaction. The role entails leading credit monitoring/control/administration of a portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying potential credit issues early. In addition, a significant portion of the role involves analyzing consent/waiver requests, evaluating the credit impact of the request and any mitigants and preparing an application for credit approval of the request.
- Preparing periodic reviews: 50%
- Continuously monitoring the credit profile of a portfolio of borrowers including reviewing compliance items: 20%
- Responding to ad hoc information requests: 5 - 10%
- Analyzing and seeking credit approval for consent/amendment requests: 5 - 10%
- KYC renewals: 5%
· Continuously monitor the analyst’s portfolio of borrowers with a view to identifying deteriorating situations early
· Prepare detailed, well-organized, error-free periodic reviews of the analyst’s portfolio of borrowers
· Analyze and, if appropriate, seek credit approval for amendment and consent requests sought by borrowers. In preparing applications for credit approval, the analyst must have a good understanding of the request, the impact of the proposed consent on the credit risk of the borrower/transaction, any mitigants to the increased risk and the justification for approval of the request.
· Update KYC information for borrowers
· Respond to ad hoc information requests
Experience / Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree
- Prefer candidates who have previously held a position in either the credit department or the portfolio monitoring department of a lending institution.
- Ideally, the candidate would have a background in project finance.
- Strong background in accounting is preferred. This means not just studied accounting in school, but use of accounting for financial statement analysis.
Required Skills / Abilities
- Proactive/self-motivated approach to tasks with a demonstrated desire to continuously improve his/her understanding of all aspects of the role (i.e. demonstrate intellectual curiosity)
- Financial statement analysis
- Ability to communicate clearly and logically (written and verbal)
- Strong understanding of legal documents
- Meticulous in approach to assignments
- Clearly articulate an argument in writing which is well-organized and which flows logically
- Strong ability to balance competing deadlines
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity to research and ask questions allowing the analyst to get up to speed in areas in which he/she is not familiar
- Strong ability to read and understand financing and project legal documents
- Ability to work independently but not afraid to ask questions
- Highly self-motivated and proactive in his/her approach to work
- Very detail focused
- Able to work under tight time deadlines from time to time
- Adaptable to unexpected situations
- Good familiarity with using Microsoft Excel